Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Job 19

Job

1 Then Job replied:


2 "How long will you torment me
and crush me with words?

3 Ten times now you have reproached me;
shamelessly you attack me.

4 If it is true that I have gone astray,
my error remains my concern alone.

5 If indeed you would exalt yourselves above me
and use my humiliation against me,

6 then know that God has wronged me
and drawn his net around me.

7 "Though I cry, 'I've been wronged!' I get no response;
though I call for help, there is no justice.

8 He has blocked my way so I cannot pass;
he has shrouded my paths in darkness.

9 He has stripped me of my honor
and removed the crown from my head.

10 He tears me down on every side till I am gone;
he uproots my hope like a tree.

11 His anger burns against me;
he counts me among his enemies.

12 His troops advance in force;
they build a siege ramp against me
and encamp around my tent.

13 "He has alienated my brothers from me;
my acquaintances are completely estranged from me.

14 My kinsmen have gone away;
my friends have forgotten me.

15 My guests and my maidservants count me a stranger;
they look upon me as an alien.

16 I summon my servant, but he does not answer,
though I beg him with my own mouth.

17 My breath is offensive to my wife;
I am loathsome to my own brothers.

18 Even the little boys scorn me;
when I appear, they ridicule me.

19 All my intimate friends detest me;
those I love have turned against me.

20 I am nothing but skin and bones;
I have escaped with only the skin of my teeth.

21 "Have pity on me, my friends, have pity,
for the hand of God has struck me.

22 Why do you pursue me as God does?
Will you never get enough of my flesh?

23 "Oh, that my words were recorded,
that they were written on a scroll,

24 that they were inscribed with an iron tool on lead,
or engraved in rock forever!

25 I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.

26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;

27 I myself will see him
with my own eyes—I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!

28 "If you say, 'How we will hound him,
since the root of the trouble lies in him,'

29 you should fear the sword yourselves;
for wrath will bring punishment by the sword,
and then you will know that there is judgment."

Side Notes:

vs. 3-5 It is easy to point out someone else's faults or sins. Job's friends accused him of sin to make him feel guilty, not to encourage or correct him. If we feel we must admonish someone, we should be sure we are confronting that person because we love him, not because we are annoyed, inconvenienced, or seeking to blame him.

vs. 6 Job felt that God was treating him as an enemy when, in fact, God was his friend and thought highly of him (1:8; 2:3). In his difficulty, Job pointed at the wrong person. It was Satan, not God, who was Job's enemy. Because they stressed ultimate causes, most Israelites believed that both good and evil came from God; they also thought people were responsible for their own destinies. But the evil power loose in this world accounts for much of the suffering we experience. In verse 7, Job continued to cry out to be heard by God.

vs. 25-27 At the heart of the book of Job comes his ringing affirmation of confidence: "I know that my Redeemer lives." In ancient Israel a redeemer was a family member who bought a slave's way to freedom or who took care of a widow. What tremendous faith Job had, especially in light of the fact that he was unaware of the conference between God and Satan. Job thought that God had brought all these disasters upon him! Faced with death and decay, Job still expected to see God - and he expected to do so in his body. When the book of Job was written, Israel did not have a well-developed doctrine of the resurrection. Although Job struggled with the idea that God was presently against him, he firmly believed that in the end God would be on his side. This belief was so strong that Job became one of the first to talk about the resurrection of the body (see also Psalm 16:10; Isaiah 26:19; Daniel 12:2, 13).

vs. 26 Job said: "in my flesh I will see God." In Job's situation, it seemed unlikely to him that he would, in his flesh, see God. And that's just the point of Job's faith! He was confident that God's justice would triumph, even if it would take a miracle like resurrection to accomplish this.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the thoughts that came to my mind tonight as I was reading had to do with the fact that Job was blaming God and not Satan. I think most of us are now aware that ultimately Satan is the source of all evil in the world. However, God often is the recipient of our blame. How many times does anyone ever ask "Satan, why?" We all know why Satan chooses evil methods to do his work. However, we ask God.......because A. we know that God is capable of defeating any obstacle. God is stronger than Satan. And B. God is good. So if God is good and he is stronger than Satan..........why wouldn't we appeal to Him? We would and He wants us too. So the issue for me often becomes..........if this is a good thing........and God is powerful enough and he chooses not to answer my prayer, then the question becomes, "Why not?" and if I'm not careful that question can turn to anger .......not at Satan, but at God. And ultimately there are times when I'm just not going to understand what God is doing or why.........times where if God would listen to me....he would do things differently and times when the only conclusion i can come to is the same one that Job did...........when he declared that God is still God and he was going to trust Him.

Anna said...

I really like that at the end of this chapter Job tells us that he still believes that he will see God. Even though he thinks God is causing all of his pain and suffering for a reason unknown to Job, he yearns to see him.

In vs 4 Job tells his friends that even if he did do wrong, they shouldn't be concerning themselves with his wrongdoing. How true is this, we shouldn't be focusing on on what someone else has done for the purpose of making them feel guilty, or worse than they already do.

Unknown said...

Good thoughts Anna.