Monday, September 21, 2009

Job 15

Eliphaz

1 Then Eliphaz the Temanite replied:

2 "Would a wise man answer with empty notions
or fill his belly with the hot east wind?

3 Would he argue with useless words,
with speeches that have no value?

4 But you even undermine piety
and hinder devotion to God.

5 Your sin prompts your mouth;
you adopt the tongue of the crafty.

6 Your own mouth condemns you, not mine;
your own lips testify against you.

7 "Are you the first man ever born?
Were you brought forth before the hills?

8 Do you listen in on God's council?
Do you limit wisdom to yourself?

9 What do you know that we do not know?
What insights do you have that we do not have?

10 The gray-haired and the aged are on our side,
men even older than your father.

11 Are God's consolations not enough for you,
words spoken gently to you?

12 Why has your heart carried you away,
and why do your eyes flash,

13 so that you vent your rage against God
and pour out such words from your mouth?

14 "What is man, that he could be pure,
or one born of woman, that he could be righteous?

15 If God places no trust in his holy ones,
if even the heavens are not pure in his eyes,

16 how much less man, who is vile and corrupt,
who drinks up evil like water!

17 "Listen to me and I will explain to you;
let me tell you what I have seen,

18 what wise men have declared,
hiding nothing received from their fathers

19 (to whom alone the land was given
when no alien passed among them):

20 All his days the wicked man suffers torment,
the ruthless through all the years stored up for him.

21 Terrifying sounds fill his ears;
when all seems well, marauders attack him.

22 He despairs of escaping the darkness;
he is marked for the sword.

23 He wanders about—food for vultures;
he knows the day of darkness is at hand.

24 Distress and anguish fill him with terror;
they overwhelm him, like a king poised to attack,

25 because he shakes his fist at God
and vaunts himself against the Almighty,

26 defiantly charging against him
with a thick, strong shield.

27 "Though his face is covered with fat
and his waist bulges with flesh,

28 he will inhabit ruined towns
and houses where no one lives,
houses crumbling to rubble.

29 He will no longer be rich and his wealth will not endure,
nor will his possessions spread over the land.

30 He will not escape the darkness;
a flame will wither his shoots,
and the breath of God's mouth will carry him away.

31 Let him not deceive himself by trusting what is worthless,
for he will get nothing in return.

32 Before his time he will be paid in full,
and his branches will not flourish.

33 He will be like a vine stripped of its unripe grapes,
like an olive tree shedding its blossoms.

34 For the company of the godless will be barren,
and fire will consume the tents of those who love bribes.

35 They conceive trouble and give birth to evil;
their womb fashions deceit."

Side Notes:

Here's the start of round two for all of Job's friends. They are ready to press their arguments even further...and Job will again answer each argument. This time Eliphaz was more rude, more intense, and more threatening, but he said nothing new. He began by saying that Job's words were empty and useless; then he restated his experience and wisdom of their ancestors were more valuable than Job's individual thoughts. Eliphaz assumed that his words were as true as God's. It is easy to spot his arrogance.

vs. 15-16 "even the heavens are not pure in his eyes." Eliphaz was repeating his argument that anything created, whether angels (holy ones) or man, is not a sufficient basis for trust and hope. Only in God can we be sure.

3 comments:

Feldman Family said...

While I do think that some of what Eliphaz said was right...it obiviously did not apply to Job! I also think that verse 10 shows us that not even the elders are right all the time...they certainly weren't in this case. So we need to be careful to take us humans for truth and we need to make sure we look to the Truth, Jesus. He will lead us and correct us where we need it. Also, verses 12-13, while they again do not apply to Job here don't you sometimes want to ask people this...why do you curse God? If they only knew. We need to be careful about how we approach people but I think it is our responsibility to show them that God is love and show them that He does not desire us to suffer...and to tell them that it's not going to do them any good to curse God! So many people told us that it was okay to be mad at God when we lost Emma...while I do think that is okay to a certain extent, Jon and I both felt that it was not going to do us any good to be mad at God and certainly we were not going to turn away from Him and curse Him! No way...what would that get us? Anyway...I also liked verse 31 and 33...I think they were good as well. This book has been so good to go through...I hope you all are enjoying it as much as I am...here's to round 2 of the friends and Job going back and forth...and here's to more learning!

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts Ali. I think the thing that stands out to me is that Eliphaz really believed what he was saying. There doesn't seem to be even a hint in his thinking that he might be wrong. I think the term "self-righteous" seems to fit.
Several years ago I prayed a very simple prayer, or so I thought at the time, that God would remove any layers from around my heart that were keeping God from having all of me. I really didn't think there were any, but just in case.......I wanted to be sure. I couldn't see any blatant sin in my life and I really thought I was okay. I'd been a Christian most of my life and by all appearances.......I was okay. Well, God had a field day with that and he began showing me layer after layer of things that needed to be removed. Guess what the first thing was that God revealed to me? The very first layer was self righteousness.........the idea that I didn't have any sin......nothing keeping God from having all of me. Consequently, I'm very sympathetic to someone who obviously had this sin, becasue one thing about having the sin of self righteousness...........you don't know it. If you knew it......you wouldn't have it. Eliphaz' own sin of self-righteousness is blinding him to his own sin. If he realized his own sin he would probably not have been as quick to point the finger at Job. I think that's what God meant when he told us if we're going to take the splinter out of our brother's eye....we need to first of all remove the plank from our own. The point I want to make is that Eliphaz was committing the sin of self righteousness and that was evidenced by what he was saying, but that sin is always deceptive, because no one who has it thinks they do.

Feldman Family said...

Wow Betty...that was great insight! Thanks for sharing!