Friday, September 25, 2009

Job 17

1 My spirit is broken,
my days are cut short,
the grave awaits me.

2 Surely mockers surround me;
my eyes must dwell on their hostility.

3 "Give me, O God, the pledge you demand.
Who else will put up security for me?

4 You have closed their minds to understanding;
therefore you will not let them triumph.

5 If a man denounces his friends for reward,
the eyes of his children will fail.

6 "God has made me a byword to everyone,
a man in whose face people spit.

7 My eyes have grown dim with grief;
my whole frame is but a shadow.

8 Upright men are appalled at this;
the innocent are aroused against the ungodly.

9 Nevertheless, the righteous will hold to their ways,
and those with clean hands will grow stronger.

10 "But come on, all of you, try again!
I will not find a wise man among you.

11 My days have passed, my plans are shattered,
and so are the desires of my heart.

12 These men turn night into day;
in the face of darkness they say, 'Light is near.'

13 If the only home I hope for is the grave,
if I spread out my bed in darkness,

14 if I say to corruption, 'You are my father,'
and to the worm, 'My mother' or 'My sister,'

15 where then is my hope?
Who can see any hope for me?

16 Will it go down to the gates of death?
Will we descend together into the dust?"

Side Notes:

vs. 10 All of Job's friends had a reputation for being wise, but at this time Job could not find wisdom in any of them. In 42:7 God will back up Job's claim when He will condemn them for their false portrayal of him. Obviously their view of wisdom was faulty. They assumed because they were prosperous and successful that God must be pleased with the way they were living and thinking. Job, however, countered that by saying that earthly success and prosperity are not proof of faith in God. Likewise, trouble and affliction do not prove faithlessness. The truly wise man knows that wisdom comes from God alone, not from human successes or failures. And the truly wise man never forsakes God. God's wisdom proved superior to Job and to all his friends.

vs. 15 Job was giving up hope that there would be any future restoration of wealth and family and wrapping himself in thoughts of death and the rest from grief and pain that it promised. The rewards that his friends talked about were all related to this present life. They were silent about the possibility of life after death. We must not evaluate life only in terms of this present world because God promises a never-ending wonderful future to those who are faithful to him.

3 comments:

Feldman Family said...

Sometimes I think that God allows us to suffer so that we look forward to Heaven just that much more! Think about it...if life was perfect down here, then we wouldn't ever want to leave it! I know that I look forward to Heaven more now that my babies are up there...I've asked Jon before..."do you think God took our babies up there now to make sure we get there too?" If I wasn't sure about it before (which I was) I sure am now...there is no way I'm messing things up here on Earth so that I miss my chance of getting into Heaven...I am living for Eternity now...and I can't wait for eternity where there is no more pain and hurt and loss and suffering...only Joy because we will be in the presence of our Savior! But in trials, don't we all feel a little like Job. Sometimes it's hard to remember where our hope lies. But thank goodness we know the grave is not just a means to an end...not just a place where the hurt and the suffering and the pain ends...we know that the grave is just an earthly thing...we have Life everlasting! Yea! This makes me excited!

Well I hope you all have a great weekend! Doing anything fun? You're probably not Anna...hope bedrest isn't getting to be too much for you...come on little babe...get bigger! And stronger! Praying for you Anna and baby!

Anyone else have a prayer request?

Unknown said...

Good thoughts Ali. The one thought that came to my mind as I read this was a devotional I read about 30 years ago. (Obviously, it had a profound impact on me.) The devotional said that rather than look for the victories we should look for God and when we see Him we will see the victories that He brings. So many times we look for the gift as proof of the giver, but we fail to focus on the Giver. When we see the Giver...........the gifts he can bring begin to lose their importance. Job's friends were looking at the gifts as proof of the Giver and I think they missed the whole point. It's not about what God does or doesn't do......that is our greatest blessing. God is our greatest blessing. I believe that when Job began to think he was never going to have his wealth restored, and he was okay with that was because he understood it's not the gifts that God gives us that matters most. It is the presence of God in our lives that matters most.

Anna said...

I like that Job doesn't back down from his friends. He still maintains that they are wrong, that while he doesn't know why he is going through this, he knows it's not for the reasons they are saying. Sometimes it can be hard to continue to believe you are not wrong when everyone around you, especially friends, are telling you something different. But despite his friends reputation for wisdom he knows they are not right in what they say. Sometimes people are left standing alone... well, except for having God on their side that is.

I also feel like Ali does, that Morgan being in Heaven is a just an extra incentive to continue and grow my relationship with God, so I might one day join her there.

I also really like what RBAukerman ended with, that God's presence in our lives is what matters most. I feel like I can get through anything as long as I have God in my life.

----

You are right Ali, I couldn't do anything too exciting this weekend, but today is my & Chris' 1 year anniversary so he is picking up Olive Garden for us for dinner and he brought our wedding champagne glasses up here with a bottle of sparkling grape juice. Also my Doc has this thing where if he has a patient on bed rest who is here for awhile (and will probably continue to be here for a bit) he brings in the "party lights" so I have tropical fish, palm trees, and flamingo lights strung up in my room right now, so it's quite a festive anniversary!

Hope everyone else had a good weekend!