Monday, September 14, 2009

Job 12

Job

1 Then Job replied:


2 "Doubtless you are the people,
and wisdom will die with you!


3 But I have a mind as well as you;
I am not inferior to you.
Who does not know all these things?


4 "I have become a laughingstock to my friends,
though I called upon God and he answered—
a mere laughingstock, though righteous and blameless!


5 Men at ease have contempt for misfortune
as the fate of those whose feet are slipping.


6 The tents of marauders are undisturbed,
and those who provoke God are secure—
those who carry their god in their hands.


7 "But ask the animals, and they will teach you,
or the birds of the air, and they will tell you;


8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
or let the fish of the sea inform you.


9 Which of all these does not know
that the hand of the LORD has done this?


10 In his hand is the life of every creature
and the breath of all mankind.


11 Does not the ear test words
as the tongue tastes food?


12 Is not wisdom found among the aged?
Does not long life bring understanding?


13 "To God belong wisdom and power;
counsel and understanding are his.


14 What he tears down cannot be rebuilt;
the man he imprisons cannot be released.


15 If he holds back the waters, there is drought;
if he lets them loose, they devastate the land.


16 To him belong strength and victory;
both deceived and deceiver are his.


17 He leads counselors away stripped
and makes fools of judges.


18 He takes off the shackles put on by kings
and ties a loincloth around their waist.


19 He leads priests away stripped
and overthrows men long established.


20 He silences the lips of trusted advisers
and takes away the discernment of elders.


21 He pours contempt on nobles
and disarms the mighty.


22 He reveals the deep things of darkness
and brings deep shadows into the light.


23 He makes nations great, and destroys them;
he enlarges nations, and disperses them.


24 He deprives the leaders of the earth of their reason;
he sends them wandering through a trackless waste.


25 They grope in darkness with no light;
he makes them stagger like drunkards.

Side Notes:

Job answered Zophar pretty sarcastically: "Wisdom will die with you." He went on to tell his friends that they didn't need to explain God to him...they weren't saying anything to him that he didn't already know. Job continued to maintain that his friends had completely misunderstood the reason for his suffering. While Job didn't know either, he was certain that his friends' reasons were both narrow-minded and incorrect. Once again Job appealed to God to give him the answer.

vs 24-25 Job affirmed that no leader has any real wisdom apart from God. No research or report can outweigh God's opinion. No scientific discovery or medical advance takes him by surprise. When we look for guidance for our decisions, we must recognize that God's wisdom is superior to any the world has to offer. Don't let earthly advisers dampen your desire to know God better.

4 comments:

Feldman Family said...

Hey all! In case you didn't read the last comments please go there and do it. Anna still needs our prayers as she is now in the hospital on bed rest trying to keep that little baby in there a little bit longer so he or she can get strong enough and big enough to be born :) So...we got you covered Anna! :) Any updates? And I'm so bummed that you didn't get to go on your vacation and that you had to be in a hospital instead...but I guess for some reason that's where God has you now :) Take care!

-------
Okay...on to today's passage...actually I don't think any of us really discussed the last chapter...so...what did you think? I think the side notes were accurate saying that Zophar was the least courteous. If I didn't punch out the last two I might have him :) Job was good here today...kinda got in their face about it...sounds like me...sarcastic! I do like what he was saying at the end of the chapter and then how the side notes explained it. God is all-knowing...nothing gets past him. All medical advances...God knows about them...he is not surprised. That's why I don't think it's wrong to go to the doctor or to take certain medicines...now I do think that some people take to many and that there are good things to living more naturally...but like for me...I had to take fertility drugs to get pregant...I didn't have a problem with that because I think that God was the one who created them...He created the person (and gave them their brilliant mind) who then went into a lab somewhere and came up with the medicine that ultimately led to me getting pregnant...now I know some would say that if you couldn't get pregnant on your own then that must be God's way of saying that you weren't meant to have children...I don't necessarily agree with that. Sure I do think that there are some procedures that doctors try to play God a little too much but then I read this and remember that God does know all and if we just keep relying on Him, He will lead us to what is right for us. Okay...off my soapbox now :)

Well I hope you all have a great Monday...any other prayer requests?

Anna said...

Ahh, Zophar... definitely the hard hitter of the friends. To be so sure he knows all about what's going on and to wish more punishment upon his friend... I feel like Satan was really using these friends of Job to try to get him to reject God. Each one gets a little worse.

I too like Jobs response, to declare that he doesn't need an explanation of how God works.

-----

Thanks for the continuing prayers. Not too much to update, Baby & I are doing well so far, and every day Baby stays put is good.

Unknown said...

I think the one verse in chapter 12 that really stuck out to me is v. 5. "Men at ease have contempt for misfortune". It is so easy for me to be critical of someone else who is experiencing a difficutly and to judge them as if they brought it on themselves. It's also easy for me to not be very compassionate toward others that are experiencing something I haven't. It can be as small as getting the flu. If my kids get sick before I do.........I'm not nearly as compassionate to them as I am if I get sick first and I know how they feel. Job's friends were doing the same thing. They hadn't experienced the difficulties that Job had so it was easy for them to be judgmental. But it goes even farther than that. It says men of ease have contempt............When life is going well and everything is going fine............we often few the difficulties and trials of others with impatience and intolerance. We don't want someone else's problem's treading on our peace and prosperity. I think in cases where people are obviously victims we can all feel compassionate for them. But if we, like Job's friends, look at someone else's difficutlies and think they somehow brought it on themselves..........I find myself becoming much more intolerant and not very compassionate of their situation. Finally......the overall message I take from this is the reminder that God is ultimately in the know of every situation and He is soverign.

Brittney said...

I love reading all your comments - they all bring out something I hadn't thought of before!!

I really found it interesting how just like Job's other friends, Zophar had small pieces of truth, but twisted them. In chapter 11 where he says:

7 "Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?
8 They are higher than the heavens—what can you do? They are deeper than the depths of the grave—what can you know?

it really reminds me of what God actually answers Job at the end of the book -

4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand.
5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it?

So, Zophar had the right idea that God knows things we don't. However, he twisted the words to try and indite Job. Ironically, Zophar turns out to be one of the men he is insulting - questioning God without understanding the big picture. Just relying on his own narrow view of understanding.

Just wanted to share something also - I heard this on Sept. 11 on a Christian radio station in the cities and although its about the terrorist attacks, it instantly made me think of our words about Job here, because it answers the question (as best us humans can) of where God was. It's a little too long to post here so here's a link: http://ktis.fm/blogs/morning/2009/09/11/9-11-8th-anniversary/

Although its a different situation I think it explains very well that God does show up - just not in ways we expect or necessarily want. But that doesn't mean He's not there.