Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Job 10

1 "I loathe my very life;
therefore I will give free rein to my complaint
and speak out in the bitterness of my soul.


2 I will say to God: Do not condemn me,
but tell me what charges you have against me.


3 Does it please you to oppress me,
to spurn the work of your hands,
while you smile on the schemes of the wicked?


4 Do you have eyes of flesh?
Do you see as a mortal sees?


5 Are your days like those of a mortal
or your years like those of a man,


6 that you must search out my faults
and probe after my sin-


7 though you know that I am not guilty
and that no one can rescue me from your hand?


8 "Your hands shaped me and made me.
Will you now turn and destroy me?


9 Remember that you molded me like clay.
Will you now turn me to dust again?


10 Did you not pour me out like milk
and curdle me like cheese,


11 clothe me with skin and flesh
and knit me together with bones and sinews?


12 You gave me life and showed me kindness,
and in your providence watched over my spirit.


13 "But this is what you concealed in your heart,
and I know that this was in your mind:


14 If I sinned, you would be watching me
and would not let my offense go unpunished.


15 If I am guilty—woe to me!
Even if I am innocent, I cannot lift my head,
for I am full of shame
and drowned in my affliction.


16 If I hold my head high, you stalk me like a lion
and again display your awesome power against me.


17 You bring new witnesses against me
and increase your anger toward me;
your forces come against me wave upon wave.


18 "Why then did you bring me out of the womb?
I wish I had died before any eye saw me.

19 If only I had never come into being,
or had been carried straight from the womb to the grave!


20 Are not my few days almost over?
Turn away from me so I can have a moment's joy


21 before I go to the place of no return,
to the land of gloom and deep shadow,


22 to the land of deepest night,
of deep shadow and disorder,
where even the light is like darkness."

Side Notes:

Job was starting to wallow in self pity. Like most of us, when we face afflictions that we don't understand, we tend to feel sorry for ourselves and that's what Job is doing. It's here that we are very close to self-righteousness, where we keep track of life's injustices and say, "Look what is happening to me; how unfair is this?!" At these times we may feel like blaming God. But remember that these trials, whether allowed by God or send by Him, can be the means by which we are developed and refined. When faced with trials, ask, "What can I learn from this and how can I grow?" rather than "Who did this to me and how do I get out of it?"

vs. 13-14 In his frustration, Job jumped to the conclusion that God was out to get him. This was a false conclusion. Wrong assumptions lead to wrong conclusions. We should not take our limited experiences and jump to conclusions about life in general. If you find yourself doubting God, remember that you don't have all the facts. God wants only the best for our lives. Many people will endure great pain, but ultimately they find some greater good comes out of it. Lesson to be learned: when you're struggling, don't assume the worst.

vs. 20-22 Job was expressing the view of death that was common in the Old Testament times. The thought was that the dead when to a joyless, dark place. There was no punishment or reward there and no escape from it.

3 comments:

Feldman Family said...

Good Morning all!

Wow...did Job have some harsh words for God here! I was really feeling sorry for Job here, as he must have been in so much pain to be crying out to God like this. I like what the side note had to say about it though...God wants the best for us...many have endured great pain but ultimately they find greater good comes out of it. So true. We just have to get through the pain first! I also thought it was sad about their thoughts of death...but we also have to remember that this was the Old Testament times...Jesus had not come back to save the world yet...how good is it to know that we know that death is not the end of us...in fact it's only the beginning and in Heaven there won't be anymore suffering! YEA! I also think that verses 18-19 really hit me since I have lost babies (and Anna I wonder if this hit you the same)...I have wondered if God spared Emmalee, Owen and Cooper from something or some trial they would have experienced down here on Earth...and so he chose to take them to Heaven with Him. This goes back to my "whys" questions that I'm sure I'll forget when I'm in His presence but it does make me wonder for now...what could have been so bad that He took them "from the womb to the grave". I will forever be greatful though, that He allowed me to see each of them with life in them...even for such a short time...I know some don't get that opportunity and for that I'm very sorry. Well I think I've rambled on enough...what did you guys think?

-----
Lynne - I think you brought up a very good point on the last chapter...I don't know why he wouldn't assume that it could have been the devil...after I re-read it I thought...yeah...why doesn't he think it could be him. Maybe they didn't really think about the Devil in those days but that would be real interesting to know.

-----
Any prayer requests?

We would just like continued prayer for the adoption process...they said it would be hard waiting and it sure is! It's only been about 2 months and I'm already antsy! I just want to get that call...now! So I hate to pray for patience :) but I think I'm going to need it!

Anna - how's baby? And your cervix?

Britt - How's baby Emma? I need to check her website again.

Lynne - Are you so excited for Extreme Home Makeover?! We'll pray for safety for you so that you don't get hit by a nail gun or anything :) (Since they have to work so fast getting those houses up I don't know how they don't have accidents!) And that you don't pass out when you see Ty! Just kidding! ha! You'll have to tell us all about it!

Anyone else out there have a prayer request? We'd love to pray for you!

Anna said...

I really connected with the side notes for this chapter and how it says, that trials, allowed or sent, can be the means by which we are developed and refined. I may have said it before but that is how I feel about going through the heartache of having Morgan go to Heaven so soon. Of course it was hard to feel that way at first, when everything was so raw, but the experience really helped grow and strengthen my faith.

And yes, vs. 19 really struck a cord with me as well... just like Ali said, it makes me wonder what Morgan may have been spared by being taken to Heaven so very young.

----

Ali, continuing to keep you and Jon in my prayers in regards to the adoption process, I will add prayers for patience (not one of my strong suits at all so I can empathize there) in as well.

I too would like to know how baby Emma is doing...

Baby is doing well, very active. I have an u/s for cervical length tomorrow so hopefully that will still look good.

Oh, if all is well with the u/s tomorrow we are heading up north by my family for a 4 day weekend, so I may be doing some catch up on the Friday/Monday chapters next week as we won't be back until Tuesday... although I've been a day behind the postings this week anyway! Sorry!

Feldman Family said...

We'll be praying that all looks good with the ultrasound tomorrow Anna! And I hope that you're trip is a lot of fun! We'll miss you around here for a few days :)