Friday, August 28, 2009

Job 5

1 "Call if you will, but who will answer you?
To which of the holy ones will you turn?


2 Resentment kills a fool,
and envy slays the simple.


3 I myself have seen a fool taking root,
but suddenly his house was cursed.


4 His children are far from safety,
crushed in court without a defender.


5 The hungry consume his harvest,
taking it even from among thorns,
and the thirsty pant after his wealth.


6 For hardship does not spring from the soil,
nor does trouble sprout from the ground.


7 Yet man is born to trouble
as surely as sparks fly upward.


8 "But if it were I, I would appeal to God;
I would lay my cause before him.


9 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted.


10 He bestows rain on the earth;
he sends water upon the countryside.


11 The lowly he sets on high,
and those who mourn are lifted to safety.


12 He thwarts the plans of the crafty,
so that their hands achieve no success.


13 He catches the wise in their craftiness,
and the schemes of the wily are swept away.


14 Darkness comes upon them in the daytime;
at noon they grope as in the night.


15 He saves the needy from the sword in their mouth;
he saves them from the clutches of the powerful.


16 So the poor have hope,
and injustice shuts its mouth.


17 "Blessed is the man whom God corrects;
so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.

18 For he wounds, but he also binds up;
he injures, but his hands also heal.

19 From six calamities he will rescue you;
in seven no harm will befall you.

20 In famine he will ransom you from death,
and in battle from the stroke of the sword.

21 You will be protected from the lash of the tongue,
and need not fear when destruction comes.

22 You will laugh at destruction and famine,
and need not fear the beasts of the earth.

23 For you will have a covenant with the stones of the field,
and the wild animals will be at peace with you.


24 You will know that your tent is secure;
you will take stock of your property and find nothing missing.


25 You will know that your children will be many,
and your descendants like the grass of the earth.


26 You will come to the grave in full vigor,
like sheaves gathered in season.

27 "We have examined this, and it is true.
So hear it and apply it to yourself."

Side Notes:

vs. 13 Paul later quoted part of this verse (1 Corinthians 3:19) and it is the only time that Job is clearly quoted in the New Testament. Later we will see that God rebuked Eliphaz for being wrong in the advice that he gave Job (42:7), but not all he said was in error. The part that Paul quoted was correct - people are often caught in their own traps ("in their craftiness"). This shows us how Scripture must be used to explain and comment on itself. We need make sure that we are familiar with the entire scope of God's word to properly understand the difficult portions of it.

2 comments:

Feldman Family said...

Eliphaz was right in verses 17-18...pain can help us grow...I unfortunately know that to be a true statement. Because Job (and us) don't know why suffering and trials happen to us, our faith has a chance to grow. But if Eliphaz was our friend...don't you think you'd just like to hit him in the choppers and say...look man...I didn't do anything wrong. I just look at Job with amazement...he held it together so well for all that he was going through. I bet he would have loved to be in the know about Satan and God's conversation...but wouldn't we all. How about anyone else...a verse stick out to you? I know that Eliphaz wasn't really in the right here, but he did make some good points as well...he just didn't do it in the right way by assuming that Job's sins were what was causing his suffering. I also liked verse 25...I would like to think that my children will be many and my descendants like the grass of the earth...we'll see I guess. Hope you all have a great weekend!

possemom2 said...

I agree with Eliphaz in verse 19 " He will deliver you again and again". Thank-you God! I amso glad its not a once and your done kind of faith! In my version verse 27 says "I have found from experience that all of this is true. For your own good, listen to my counsel.I think this version using I and my really brings out that it is not coming from God. Lynne