Friday, August 21, 2009

Job 2

Job's Second Test

1 On another day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them to present himself before him. 2 And the LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."

3 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason."

4 "Skin for skin!" Satan replied. "A man will give all he has for his own life. 5 But stretch out your hand and strike his flesh and bones, and he will surely curse you to your face."

6 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, he is in your hands; but you must spare his life."

7 So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head. 8 Then Job took a piece of broken pottery and scraped himself with it as he sat among the ashes.

9 His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!"

10 He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

Job's Three Friends

11 When Job's three friends, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, heard about all the troubles that had come upon him, they set out from their homes and met together by agreement to go and sympathize with him and comfort him. 12 When they saw him from a distance, they could hardly recognize him; they began to weep aloud, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads. 13 Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was.


Side Notes:

vs 3-6 Can Satan really persuade God to change His plans? At first God said that Satan couldn't harm Job physically but now that Satan had said "skin for skin", implying that Job was willing to accept the loss of his family as long as he was still safe...physically. Now he wants to inflict physically pain to Job to prove his original accusation (1:9). God did decide to allow it but Satan is unable to make God go against his own character, God is completely and eternally good. God was willing to go along with Satan's plan because He knew the eventual outcome of Job's story. God is never fooled by Satan...God knows all. This suffering of Jobs was not a test for God, rather it was a test for Satan, Job and even us.

2:6 Physical pain yes, but Satan still could not destroy him.

2:9 Why was Job's wife spared? It could be that her very presence cause Job even more suffering through her chiding or sorrow over all that they had lost.

2:11 Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar were not only Job's friends but they were also men known for their great wisdom. In the end we will see that their wisdom turned out to be narrow-minded and incomplete.

2:13 Why when his friends came did they just sit quietly? According to Jewish tradition, people that come to comfort someone who is mourning should not speak until the mourner speaks.

4 comments:

Feldman Family said...

Good morning! First of all I wanted to say that I enjoyed reading all your comments from Job 1. This is going to be so good! Secondly I change the comment page to this...do you like it better this way or do you like it when it's at the bottom of the post? Let me know!

Well let me say that I enjoyed Job 2. Like Britt said about Job 1 I think it's very interesting how Satan comes to God...he is in God's presence. And I like how God even seems surprised to see him (although I'm sure He was not...He's all knowing after all) when He says in vs. 2 "Where have you come from?" There is so much about God's presence that I don't understand and yet I don't feel a need to...I know that someday it will all be made clear to us. I do sit and wonder where Heaven really is...and I wonder how long it took Satan to get there. Although he makes it seem that he didn't come from hell, as he said that he came "from roaming from the earth and going back and forth in it". That just reminds me that he is here too...doing his evil amongst us...he's not sitting on some throne down in Hell but rather he is amongst us...kind of a scary thought!
Also, vs 9-10 stuck out to me. When we lost Emmalee people were always telling me that it's okay to be mad at God...and while I do think that God understands if we are mad, I think there is a very fine line there. Job's wife wants him to curse God and be done with it...we even had people say this to us...but our answer was...the time that we do this, reject God and tell Him off, that's when he'll come back and we'll be left behind...or I'd get hit by a bus or something :) We said that it didn't really pay to get mad at God...what good would it really do...it would hurt us more to do that...we know that He doesn't give us anything we can't handle so He must think that we can go through this...and that was Job's response too..."shall we accept good from God, and not trouble." We need to realize that bad things do happen and having a relationship with God does not protect us from that...but when we do go through it we have Him on our side to give us the strength!

Okay...I've rambled on long enough...what stuck out to you?

Brittney said...

Good thoughts Ali!

One translation note - I've been reading from the Hebrew Bible and I noticed instead of Satan they call him "The Adversary".

And I guess the thing that kind of stuck out to me this chapter was how Satan first wanted to take away Job's family (emotional pain) and after that didn't work then thought to do the physical pain as the second test. I would think that it would have been the other way around... it seems easier to deal with a personal physical ailment than to loose your entire family, support system, loved ones (besides his wife). Although I haven't gone through either, I was just thinking that the first test must have been the hardest.

After he was faithful through that, did Satan really think he had a chance to make him turn from God with physical ailments? It almost seems like Satan was angry that he couldn't "beat" Job so just wanted to punish him further under the guise of a test.

Anna said...

Something that stuck out to me is verse 4 & 5, where Satan assumes that physical pain to oneself would be what caused Job to curse God. It seems that Satan thought Job to be very selfish, to think more of himself and his comfort than the family that Satan took from him. Satan thought Job would essentially respond with, "take my family, my things and I'm okay, but hurt me and I'll curse God."

I agree with Brittney, that compared to losing family/loved ones, physical pain seems like it would be the lesser of two the two.

possemom2 said...

i know I am behind- I am trying to catch up! My Living Bible in verse 3 God says "despite the fact that you persuaded me to let you harm him." I thought persuaded an unusual word. i see your version said incited which to me sounds more like a challenge thrown down from Satan, which I think would be the way God and Satan would spar. Pursuaded sounds too soothing, too coaxing. It almost sounds like God felt tricked. I agree with Ali that can't be the case since God is all knowing. It is interesting to read another version and see how different words create different feelings. Lynne