Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Job 1

Prologue

1 In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil. 2 He had seven sons and three daughters, 3 and he owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen and five hundred donkeys, and had a large number of servants. He was the greatest man among all the people of the East.
4 His sons used to take turns holding feasts in their homes, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would send and have them purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, "Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts." This was Job's regular custom.

Job's First Test

6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."
8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."
9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."
12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.
13 One day when Job's sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, 14 a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, 15 and the Sabeans attacked and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
16 While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The fire of God fell from the sky and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
17 While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
18 While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, "Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, 19 when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"
20 At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said:

"Naked I came from my mother's womb,

and naked I will depart.

The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;

may the name of the LORD be praised."

22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.


Side Notes:

1:1 We have way more info than Job had or any of the characters for that matter. Job had lost all through no fault of his own, and he came to realize that he was not meant to know the reasons. He would have to face life with questions and explanations held back, and only then would his faith fully develop.

It is also important to remember that we live in a fallen world and good behavior is not always rewarded and where bad behavior is not always punished. Job suffered for no apparent fault of his own. But his story doesn't end in despair. Through his life we can see that faith in God is justified even when our situations look hopeless. Faith based on rewards or prosperity is hollow. To be unshakable, faith must be built on the confidence that God's ultimate purpose will come to pass.

1:9 Satan accused Job of only being a believer because he had everything and all had gone right for him and he had no reason to turn against God. Satan wanted to prove that Job didn't worship God out of love but rather because of all that God had given him.
Unfortunately, this is why a lot of people love and trust God, for what he has given them. They are fair-weather believers, following God only when all is going right or when they are getting what they want. Trials destroy this kind of faith...but trials also strengthen real faith and cause real faith to get rooted even deeper.

1:12 This conversation between God and Satan proves that God knows of every attack that Satan brings to us...while God may allow us to suffer for reasons we cannot understand, he is never caught by surprise and is always compassionate towards us.

1:16 "The fire of God" was a poetic way to describe lightning.

5 comments:

Feldman Family said...

Hey Everyone! Wow! Job 1 sure did have a lot in it! Here are a few things that I wrote down that stuck out to me:

vs 5: Job was trying to save his children by himself...he wanted to take their sins away. I just was awestruck by this...what love he must have had for his children...that he didn't want them to parish. We need to remember to constantly keep our kids in our prayers...while our prayers can't take their sins away, praying that they lead lives that please God and that they ask God to be their Savior, is just as important!

Vs. 8-12: A question: Do you ask God, "why me?" or do you say "use me?"...in our trials and our tests God expects us to express our faith to the world.

vs. 13: I was surprised that it didn't take Satan very long to start his plan. God gave him permission to test Job, and he went right out and did it...I wonder if he knew exactly what he was going to do...and how long he had been planning it...

vs. 21: Job so far has passed the test...he is proving that people can love God for who he is and not just for what he gives...

So...what did you all get from the passage? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Anyone have a prayer request that we can pray for? Have a great day!

Oh...on a side note...after I had put on the background of Job I realized that I probably cannot copy out of the Life Application Study Bible...I'm sure it's copyrighted or something (I never think of these things...I think if it's out there then you should be able to use it...) Anyway...I don't want to get into trouble so for the side notes I'll just kind of paraphrase the ideas they give in their explanations of the verse. If you are really looking for a different Bible, I would recommend the LASB because it does have so much insight in it!

possemom2 said...

I feel i could never measure up to this faith of Job's. Its hard when I only see my hands doing the things here on earth to remember that it is all from God and we need to praise him even if it goes away for letting us have it at all. You Ali are a great example of the faith of Job!Lynne

Feldman Family said...

I know...sometimes I feel like God gave us the example of Job to make us realize how bad it really could be and what we still have. This is getting into the next chapter a bit but I remember thinking...okay God...please please please don't give me the sores! Job really did have unbelieveable faith...it is when push comes to shove that we realize what we were made of. Steven Curtis Chapman and his wife, Mary Beth, have said of their tradgedy that they fell all the way to the bottom...and when they got there they felt that the foundation was still solid. We do need to build our solid foundations in Christ, otherwise we won't hold up in our trials. I am no saint, but I have found that my foundation is solid and that is what has kept me strong and still standing through all of our trials these past couple years. Plus...God may let us go through these trials...but He never said we had to go at them alone...He is here with us...we just need to let Him be enough for us! Anyone else have anything from this first chapter?

Oh...and I've said it before to some people but I'll say it again here...I have said these past few months that I hope God was able to say to Satan..."See...I told you Ali and Jon would still love me and follow me...now leave them alone!" I don't know about the leave me alone part but I sure hope that He's been able to say...told you so! :)

Anna said...

The faith of Job is certainly awe inspiring. To be immediately worship God when so much is taken from you is amazing. This level of faith feels beyond my reach sometimes as well. It leaves me feeling a little inadequate. I completely agree about building our solid foundations in Christ. There was a long period of time in my life in which I didn't have that strong foundation and either turned away from God when I had to endure trials, or just got angry with him. I'm forever thankful that I found solid ground before Morgan died. And instead of the loss crumbling that foundation, it actually became stronger. But I can't say that like Job I fell to my knees in worship when she died.

Brittney said...

Thanks for starting this up Ali! I read book this earlier this year - I'm reading thru the Bible chronologically and I didn't realize how early this takes place until I did that - I see you have that in your notes too.

I guess the one thing that really stood out to me was that it is such a rare glimpse into the "behind the scenes" of God and other divine creatures - their motives, relationships, etc. Verse 6 specifically - why was Satan in the presence of God? I suppose because he is still under God's ultimate control. Not sure I have any insight, but I just thought it was interesting.

I also think Job is such a great example of what happens to a person of faith when everything is stripped away. What would a person who doesn't have a hope do? How horrible that must be. But for a person of faith, the foundation has to be enough - just like you said. It also makes me think of Don's sermons during the time of loosing the twins and his family loosing Billy... kind of re-iterated that as well.

What an interesting book... even more so as I've had many of the "why" questions through loosing the babies. I'm so glad God gave us this book to help us know we aren't alone in those questions but to also realize He is ultimately God and I need to let Him be God.

Looking forward to digging into it with you all!