Monday, March 21, 2011

Psalm 17

A prayer of David.

1 Hear me, LORD, my plea is just;
listen to my cry.
Hear my prayer—
it does not rise from deceitful lips.
2 Let my vindication come from you;
may your eyes see what is right.

3 Though you probe my heart,
though you examine me at night and test me,
you will find that I have planned no evil;
my mouth has not transgressed.
4 Though people tried to bribe me,
I have kept myself from the ways of the violent
through what your lips have commanded.
5 My steps have held to your paths;
my feet have not stumbled.

6 I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;
turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.
7 Show me the wonders of your great love,
you who save by your right hand
those who take refuge in you from their foes.
8 Keep me as the apple of your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings
9 from the wicked who are out to destroy me,
from my mortal enemies who surround me.

10 They close up their callous hearts,
and their mouths speak with arrogance.
11 They have tracked me down, they now surround me,
with eyes alert, to throw me to the ground.
12 They are like a lion hungry for prey,
like a fierce lion crouching in cover.

13 Rise up, LORD, confront them, bring them down;
with your sword rescue me from the wicked.
14 By your hand save me from such people, LORD,
from those of this world whose reward is in this life.
May what you have stored up for the wicked fill their bellies;
may their children gorge themselves on it,
and may there be leftovers for their little ones.

15 As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face;
when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.

1 comment:

This little Light of Mine! said...

Good Morning! Hope you all had a great weekend! It went by way too fast for us! :)

This chapter had a lot of good stuff in it but I'm just chosing two...first off in verse 8 it talks about David wanting God to keep him as the apple of God's eye...my Bible went on to explain this verse and I really liked what it had to say..."Just as we protect the pupils ("apples") of our eyes, so God will protect us. We must not conclude, however, that we have somehow missed God's protection if we experience troubles. God's protection has far greater purposes that helping us avoid pain; it is to make us better servants for him. God also protcts us by guiding us through painful circumstances, not only by helping us escape them."

And then I found verse 14 to be interesting when he asked the Lord to save him from men of this world whose reward is in this life....this just placed such a heavy burden on my chest...because there are people in this world whos treasures here are all they are going to get....so many times as Christians we say "oh well...my treasure is in Heaven anyway" which is so true...we don't need earthly riches because this time is so short anyway...we will have many treasures in Heaven...but then think about those down here that don't know God...this is all they are going to get...sure some might have a great life..but...this is it? I think I'd pass! I don't know...this verse just hit my kind of hard today...with all that is going on in the world today makes me wonder if our time on earth is coming to an end very quickly...we need to get people ready to go!

Okay...that's all I got...hope you have a great day!

Ali