Monday, February 21, 2011

Psalm 5

For the director of music. For pipes. A psalm of David.

1 Listen to my words, LORD,
consider my lament.
2 Hear my cry for help,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.

3 In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait expectantly.
4 For you are not a God who is pleased with wickedness;
with you, evil people are not welcome.
5 The arrogant cannot stand
in your presence.
You hate all who do wrong;
6 you destroy those who tell lies.
The bloodthirsty and deceitful
you, LORD, detest.
7 But I, by your great love,
can come into your house;
in reverence I bow down
toward your holy temple.

8 Lead me, LORD, in your righteousness
because of my enemies—
make your way straight before me.
9 Not a word from their mouth can be trusted;
their heart is filled with malice.
Their throat is an open grave;
with their tongues they tell lies.
10 Declare them guilty, O God!
Let their intrigues be their downfall.
Banish them for their many sins,
for they have rebelled against you.
11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

12 Surely, LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I don't have anything insightful to say today but wanted to comment that I'm enjoying being into Psalms and thank you again Ali for posting!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I agree Anna...I am liking being in Psalms too :) And you're welcome...it's really no trouble at all to post ;)

I really like what my Bible had to say about a few verses...first off...in reguards to vs. 1-3 it basically said taht the secret to a close relationship with God is to pray earnestly each morning...in the morning our minds are more clear because they haven't been clouded by the troubles of the day yet...and regular communication is key in any relationship/friendship...so we need to make sure we are in regular communication with God by prayer and daily reading His word. I need this reminder a lot because I tend to get too busy and push that time to the back...it needs to be first before anything else. And then also in regards to verse 5 it says that God cannot excuse even the smallest sin...therefore we cannot excuse ourselves from even the tiniest sin...when we grow spiritually our sensitivity to sin grows...it then went on to ask: are you ensensitive, unconcerned, disappointed, or comfortable? As God makes us aware of our sins we need to be more intolerant toward it and we need to change...as believers we need to be more tolerant of people but less tolerant of the sin in others and ourselves. I thought that was a really good point...you always hear the saying...love the sinner but hate the sin...and I think that is so true. I think we often tend to catergorize sin as well...like this one isn't as bad as this one...but God treats all sin the same and we need to too.

Well that's about all that I have...have a great day!

Ali