Friday, November 20, 2009

Job 41

1 "Can you pull in the leviathan with a fishhook
or tie down his tongue with a rope?

2 Can you put a cord through his nose
or pierce his jaw with a hook?

3 Will he keep begging you for mercy?
Will he speak to you with gentle words?

4 Will he make an agreement with you
for you to take him as your slave for life?

5 Can you make a pet of him like a bird
or put him on a leash for your girls?

6 Will traders barter for him?
Will they divide him up among the merchants?

7 Can you fill his hide with harpoons
or his head with fishing spears?

8 If you lay a hand on him,
you will remember the struggle and never do it again!

9 Any hope of subduing him is false;
the mere sight of him is overpowering.

10 No one is fierce enough to rouse him.
Who then is able to stand against me?

11 Who has a claim against me that I must pay?
Everything under heaven belongs to me.

12 "I will not fail to speak of his limbs,
his strength and his graceful form.

13 Who can strip off his outer coat?
Who would approach him with a bridle?

14 Who dares open the doors of his mouth,
ringed about with his fearsome teeth?

15 His back has rows of shields
tightly sealed together;

16 each is so close to the next
that no air can pass between.

17 They are joined fast to one another;
they cling together and cannot be parted.

18 His snorting throws out flashes of light;
his eyes are like the rays of dawn.

19 Firebrands stream from his mouth;
sparks of fire shoot out.

20 Smoke pours from his nostrils
as from a boiling pot over a fire of reeds.

21 His breath sets coals ablaze,
and flames dart from his mouth.

22 Strength resides in his neck;
dismay goes before him.

23 The folds of his flesh are tightly joined;
they are firm and immovable.

24 His chest is hard as rock,
hard as a lower millstone.

25 When he rises up, the mighty are terrified;
they retreat before his thrashing.

26 The sword that reaches him has no effect,
nor does the spear or the dart or the javelin.

27 Iron he treats like straw
and bronze like rotten wood.

28 Arrows do not make him flee;
slingstones are like chaff to him.

29 A club seems to him but a piece of straw;
he laughs at the rattling of the lance.

30 His undersides are jagged potsherds,
leaving a trail in the mud like a threshing sledge.

31 He makes the depths churn like a boiling caldron
and stirs up the sea like a pot of ointment.

32 Behind him he leaves a glistening wake;
one would think the deep had white hair.

33 Nothing on earth is his equal—
a creature without fear.

34 He looks down on all that are haughty;
he is king over all that are proud."

Side Notes:

vs. 1 While leviathan usually refers to a seven-headed sea monster in old Canaanite myths, it probably means crocodile here.

vs. 9-11 It is foolish for people to think they can stand up against God when they are afraid to confront even a crocodile. How much more powerful is God! It is better to submit to God's loving authority than to face his wrath.

3 comments:

Feldman Family said...

Okay first of all I just have to say that I'm already a little afraid of storms...I like a good thunderstorm but if it gets really bad...well then I turn into a little bit of a chicken...I cannot imagine what Job was feeling when out of this storm God speaks to him. I would guess that he would have been pretty frightened but then again maybe he felt relief...finally he was getting some answers that he was wanting so badly. I think this chapter is just a good reminder that God is God and God is bigger and stronger than anything that he has created. I wonder why he said back in chapter 40 that the behemoth was ranked first among the works of God (vs 15-19)...because of it's size? But I like how God said that his Maker can approach him with the sword. And I like what the side notes said...why when we are afraid to confront a crocodile do we think that we can stand up against God? Kinda puts it into perspective! Ahhh...God is God...and I'm really okay with that! Thank goodness He is for us...praise be to God!

-----------
Anna - I liked what you said about chapter 40...sorry I didn't get on those comments and comment as well!

What do you think...we have one more chapter left of Job...we'll finish that up on Monday...then I think we should take the rest of the week off, with Thanksgiving and all, and start with the Christmas Story the next week...get us all pumped up for Christmas! Hope you all have a great weekend!

Brittney said...

Hi all! Can't believe we're almost done with Job! I think starting with Christmas is a fabulous idea! :)

So I really like this part of Job (and previous chapter) because I think its proof of creation in Biblical terms - because it mentions a dinosaur and a sea monster (or, dinosaur-like creature that lived in the ocean). According to some things I've read, the animals don't have the characteristics of crocodile, hippo or elephant, and could only refer to a creature which is extinct now. And specifically, it is describing dinosaurs living at the same time as humans.

Woo-hoo! - I just LOVE this topic because I believe in a literal Genesis creation with a week long creation and an earth that's been around 6,000 to 10,000 years - just makes me so excited! And that Job described it for us for yet more "proof"! If you want to check out some more I put links to two short articles from Answers in Genesis that go into detail:

Behemoth:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i2/behemoth.asp

Leviathan:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v19/i4/seamonsters.asp

Have an awesome, blessed weekend everyone!

Anna said...

So I'm making a quick stop by to request prayers for a little baby boy, Kasen, son of a woman I hung out with in high school from my hometown, who has been diagnosed with meningitis. The doctor's apparently don't think he's going to pull through. He's only about a month old. This was especially hard news to hear today, since it is Morgan's 1st Birthday/Heaven day.