Friday, October 30, 2009

Job 32

Elihu

1 So these three men stopped answering Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. 2 But Elihu son of Barakel the Buzite, of the family of Ram, became very angry with Job for justifying himself rather than God. 3 He was also angry with the three friends, because they had found no way to refute Job, and yet had condemned him. 4 Now Elihu had waited before speaking to Job because they were older than he. 5 But when he saw that the three men had nothing more to say, his anger was aroused.

6 So Elihu son of Barakel the Buzite said:
"I am young in years,
and you are old;
that is why I was fearful,
not daring to tell you what I know.

7 I thought, 'Age should speak;
advanced years should teach wisdom.'

8 But it is the spirit in a man,
the breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding.

9 It is not only the old who are wise,
not only the aged who understand what is right.

10 "Therefore I say: Listen to me;
I too will tell you what I know.

11 I waited while you spoke,
I listened to your reasoning;
while you were searching for words,

12 I gave you my full attention.
But not one of you has proved Job wrong;
none of you has answered his arguments.

13 Do not say, 'We have found wisdom;
let God refute him, not man.'

14 But Job has not marshaled his words against me,
and I will not answer him with your arguments.

15 "They are dismayed and have no more to say;
words have failed them.

16 Must I wait, now that they are silent,
now that they stand there with no reply?

17 I too will have my say;
I too will tell what I know.

18 For I am full of words,
and the spirit within me compels me;

19 inside I am like bottled-up wine,
like new wineskins ready to burst.

20 I must speak and find relief;
I must open my lips and reply.

21 I will show partiality to no one,
nor will I flatter any man;

22 for if I were skilled in flattery,
my Maker would soon take me away.

Side Notes:

vs. 1 If Job was really a good man, his three friends would have to drop their theory that suffering is always God's punishment for evil actions. Instead of considering another viewpoint, however, they cut off the discussion. They were convinced that Job had some hidden fault or sin, so there was no point in talking if Job would not confess it. But Job knew he had lived uprightly before God and others (chapter 29) and had avoided wrong thoughts and actions (chapter 31). He wasn't about to invent a sin to satisfy his friends!

vs. 2ff When Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar had nothing more to say, Elihu became the fourth person to speak to Job. This was the first and only time he spoke. Apparently he was a bystander and much younger than the others (vs. 6-7), but he introduced a new viewpoint. While Job's three friends said he was suffering from some past sins, Elihu said Job's suffering would not go away until he realized his present sin. He maintained that Job wasn't suffering because of sin, he was sinning because of suffering. Elihu pointed out that Job's attitude had become arrogant as he tried to defend his innocence. Elihu also said that suffering is not meant to punish us as much as it is meant to correct and restore us, to keep us on the right path.

There is much truth in Elihu's speech. He was urging Job to look at his suffering from a different perspective and with a greater purpose in mind. While his speech is on a higher spiritual plateau than the others, Elihu still wrongly assumed that a correct response to suffering always brings healing and restoration (33:23-30) and that suffering is always in some way connected to sin (34:11).

vs. 7-9 "The breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding." It is not enough to recognize a great truth; it must be lived out each day. Elihu recognized the truth that God was the only source of real wisdom, but he did not use God's wisdom to help Job. While he recognized where wisdom came from, he did not seek to acquire it. Becoming wise is an ongoing, lifelong pursuit. Don't be content just to know about wisdom; make it part of your life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A.W.Tozer said in one of his books that we should never dismiss critcism because of the source, but that we should always look to see if there is any truth at all in what is being said. Elihu may not have it entirely correct, but he is making some valuable points. I think perhaps his points may have been more accurate if he had presented them as possibilities and as only part of the picture rather than presenting them as absolutes. Job may indeed have communicated pride in his own defense, but that was not the cause of his suffering. However, I believe Elihu made a good point of saying that suffering ought to give us the opportunity to convey grace in the way we suffer. The irony, I think, is that while he's accusing Job of having pride; the fact that he is so sure he knows what the problem is sounds pretty prideful to me. Pride has such a subtle way of creeping in on us. John Oswald made the observation that the reason God can forgive us over and over and over is because God doesn't have the kind of pride that wouldn't allow that.

Anna said...

Great thoughts!

A big thing that I am taking away from the book of Job is to really be careful not to jump to conclusions about others. This chapter brings the 4th person to try to tell Job why he is suffering. A 4th person who believes they know the answers. I'm certain that there have been times in my life in which I've acted similar to the 4 men who are telling Job why they are suffering. Where I've concluded... "oh this is happening to them because..." or "if they did this then..." This is something I'm really going to be on watch for in myself.