Saturday, October 9, 2010

2 Samuel 4

Ish-Bosheth Murdered

1 When Ish-Bosheth son of Saul heard that Abner had died in Hebron, he lost courage, and all Israel became alarmed. 2 Now Saul's son had two men who were leaders of raiding bands. One was named Baanah and the other Recab; they were sons of Rimmon the Beerothite from the tribe of Benjamin—Beeroth is considered part of Benjamin, 3 because the people of Beeroth fled to Gittaim and have lived there as aliens to this day.
4 (Jonathan son of Saul had a son who was lame in both feet. He was five years old when the news about Saul and Jonathan came from Jezreel. His nurse picked him up and fled, but as she hurried to leave, he fell and became crippled. His name was Mephibosheth.)

5 Now Recab and Baanah, the sons of Rimmon the Beerothite, set out for the house of Ish-Bosheth, and they arrived there in the heat of the day while he was taking his noonday rest. 6 They went into the inner part of the house as if to get some wheat, and they stabbed him in the stomach. Then Recab and his brother Baanah slipped away.

7 They had gone into the house while he was lying on the bed in his bedroom. After they stabbed and killed him, they cut off his head. Taking it with them, they traveled all night by way of the Arabah. 8 They brought the head of Ish-Bosheth to David at Hebron and said to the king, "Here is the head of Ish-Bosheth son of Saul, your enemy, who tried to take your life. This day the LORD has avenged my lord the king against Saul and his offspring."

9 David answered Recab and his brother Baanah, the sons of Rimmon the Beerothite, "As surely as the LORD lives, who has delivered me out of all trouble, 10 when a man told me, 'Saul is dead,' and thought he was bringing good news, I seized him and put him to death in Ziklag. That was the reward I gave him for his news! 11 How much more—when wicked men have killed an innocent man in his own house and on his own bed—should I not now demand his blood from your hand and rid the earth of you!"

12 So David gave an order to his men, and they killed them. They cut off their hands and feet and hung the bodies by the pool in Hebron. But they took the head of Ish-Bosheth and buried it in Abner's tomb at Hebron.

Side Notes:

vs. 1 Ish-Bosheth was a man who took his courage from another man (Abner) rather than from God. When Abner died, Ish-Bosheth was left with nothing. In crisis and under pressure, he collapsed in fear. Fear can paralyze us, but faith and trust in God can overcome fear (2 Timothy 1:6-8; Hebrews 13:6). If we trust in God, we will be free to respond boldly to the events around us.

vs. 4 The rest of Mephibosheth's story is told in chapters 9; 16:1-4; and 19:24-30.

vs. 11 David called Ish-Bosheth and "innocent man." As Saul's son, Ish-Bosheth had reason to think he was in line for the throne. He was not wicked for wanting to be king; rather, he was simply too weak to stand against injustice. Although David knew Ish-Bosheth was not the strong leader needed to unite Israel, he had no intention of killing him. God had promised the kingdom to David, and he knew that God would fulfill his promise.

When David learned of Ish-Bosheth's death, he was angry. He had never harmed Saul, and he thought the assassins' method was cowardly. David wanted to unite Israel, not drive a permanent wedge between him and Ish-Bosheth's supporters. To show that he had nothing to do with the extermination of Saul's royal line, he ordered the assassins killed and gave Ish-Bosheh a proper burial. All the tribes of Israel, recognizing in David the strong leader they needed, pledged their loyalty to him. No doubt the Philistine threat and David's military reputation (1 Samuel 18:7) also helped unify the people.

2 comments:

This little Light of Mine! said...

The first side note is so true. As humans we can become consummed by fear...but with God we can conquer fear and live our lives. Thank goodness for that...can you imagine how long our pregnancies would be if we lived in fear the whole time we were pregnant...you and I, Anna, I don't think we'll ever be real comfortable being pregnant again because we know the real fear of losing our babies but I am grateful that I can turn my fear over to God and let Him deal with it for me...not to say that when or if I ever get pregnant again that I won't have moments of fear...I just pray that they won't consume all of my time ;) I hope you are feeling alright after your clearage and that you will have a peace about this pregnancy...keeping you in my prayers as always!

Anna said...

Very true Ali. There are definite moments of fear for me when pregnant... but I do my very best to not let it consume me but rather trust in God and give it all to Him. Sometimes I'm more successful than others :).

I like that David didn't go after those in line from Saul to the throne, instead trusting that God would deliver on his promise.

Things are going well after my cerclage. I've just been laying low the past few days. LOL sort of hard to do with an active 10 month old. :)